Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti or Rabindra Jayanti is a cultural celebration to mark the beginning anniversary of the luminary, Nobel Peace Prize laureate Rabindranath Tagore on his beginning anniversary. Celebrated yearly and globally in Might, Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti falls on the 25th day of the Bengali month of Boishakh. Tagore was born on the day within the yr 1268, in line with the Bengali calendar and 1861 AD, as per the Gregorian calendar. Tagore was additionally known as ‘Gurudev’, ‘Kabiguru’, and ‘Biswakabi’.
Nicknamed Rabi, he was the youngest of 13 kids and misplaced his mom in March 1875 when he was not but 14. On the age of 11, he accompanied his father on a tour throughout India. In the course of the journey, he additionally learn the works of well-known writers together with classical Sanskrit poet Kalidasa. Upon returning, he composed an extended poem within the Maithili type. Tagore started learning the works of Shakespeare in his faculty years and in 1880 when he returned to Bengal with out a diploma, he was impressed to supply his personal literary works by fusing the weather of Bengali and European traditions. In 1882, certainly one of his most acclaimed poems titled Nirjharer Swapnabhanga was printed.
Whereas Gitanjali is taken into account Tagore’s tour de drive, he was additionally a prolific songwriter who composed 2,230 songs categorised as Rabindra Sangeet. He’s additionally credited with writing a number of volumes of quick tales, and novels together with works akin to Gora, Ghare-Baire and Yogayog.
In remembrance and reverence for the polymath that Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore was, cultural programmes and occasions are held throughout the course of the day. These embody the life and works of Tagore, singing Rabindra sangeet (songs composed by Tagore, which many singers have additionally sung their very own renditions of), dances, drama, writing, poetry recitation and others. The day is widely known on a big scale at Shanti Niketan in Birbhum, West Bengal, primarily at Visva-Bharati College which was established by him.
Within the yr 2011, to mark and honour Gurudev’s 150th beginning anniversary, the Authorities of India had issued 5 rupee cash.
As per a PTI report, the West Bengal authorities has determined to rejoice the beginning anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore on Friday in a much less vibrant method, a senior authorities official stated, amid the continuing lockdown to struggle COVID-19
“Rabindra Jayanti can be noticed by the state authorities at four PM on Might eight at Cathedral Street within the southern a part of town. The honourable chief minister will stay current on the programme,” he stated on Wednesday.
“There can be no huge celebrations like different years as no gatherings can be allowed as a result of Covid-19 outbreak. The chief minister will solely garland the statue of Tagore. There can be no stage and no singing programme,” he stated.
On Rabindranath Tagore 159th beginning anniversary, also referred to as Pochishe Boishakh 2020, listed below are a couple of lesser-known details about Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore:
* Gurudev grew to become the primary non-European to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913. He was bestowed with this coveted honour after the publication of his acclaimed assortment of poems, Geetanjali.
* Rabindranath Tagore is the one recognized particular person to have written the nationwide anthems for 2 completely different international locations – Jana Gana Mana, the nationwide anthem for India; and Amar Sonar Bangla, the nationwide anthem for Bangladesh. In line with some historians, nevertheless, the Sri Lankan nationwide anthem too was based mostly on a Bengali track initially written by Tagore in 1938. It was translated into Sinhalese and adopted because the nationwide anthem in 1951.
* It was Tagore who conferred the title of ‘Mahatma’ on MK Gandhi in 1915. Though Tagore is claimed to have admired Gandhi, he differed with him on sure points.
* Rabindranath Tagore and Albert Einstein met 4 occasions between 1930 and 1931 and mutually revered one another for one another’s contributions.
* William Rothenstein, the painter, was a buddy of the Tagore household. Tagore gave Rothenstein the translations of his personal songs, together with the Gitanjali, when the latter travelled to London in 1912. Rothenstein was so taken by Tagore’s poetry and launched him to well-known names like Ezra Pound and WB Yeats.
* In March 2004, the Nobel prize awarded to Rabindranath Tagore was stolen from a museum within the Uttarayan complicated in Shanti Niketan. A brand new medal was later reissued to Tagore on his beginning centenary.
* Tagore was tutored by his elder brother Hemendranath, as he was not too keen on formal schooling. His distaste in the direction of this methodology of schooling was such that he solely attended faculty for a single day later in life.
* In an effort to problem standard strategies of classroom schooling, Tagore established a college of his personal, the place he needed humanity to be studied “someplace past the bounds of nation and geography”.
* Rabindranath Tagore took up drawing and portray on the age of 60 which he then efficiently flaunted to the general public.
* In line with the Bengali calendar, Tagore was born on the 25th day within the month of Boishakh in 1268. Subsequently, West Bengal celebrates Tagore’s birthday as per the Bengali calendar, which overlaps on both Might eight or Might 9 on the Gregorian calendar. In different states, Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti is noticed as per the Gregorian calendar on Might 7 yearly.